Internet IP Address 2008 Report
IP address allocation is the process of distributing IP addresses to organizations worldwide. The major effect of the allocation process is that the Internet IP address has been distributed unevenly across the entire world due to different political boundaries of owners. In this 2008 study, our scopes are to analyze the distribution and the trends of IP address allocation in 238 countries for 2007.
In this first section of the study, we breakdown the average percentages of IP address allocation in 238 countries using the IP2Location historical data in 2007. The average percentage is the arithmetic mean of 12-month values collected on the first day of the month from the IP2Location database.
From the data analysis (see Table 1 & Chart 1), the United States tops the allocation list by holding 37.73% of the IP addresses worldwide. It follows by United Kingdom (12.83%), Japan (7.64%), China (5.74%), Germany (3.81%), France (3.65%), Canada (2.81%), Korea (2.74%), Netherlands (2.00%) and Italy (1.67%). These Top 11 countries in the list occupied more than 80% of total allocated IP address ranges in the world in 2007. The rest 227 countries are sharing less than 20% of allocated IP address spaces.
In this second section of the study, we plot the month-to-month percentage of IP address allocation by country using the IP2Location historical data in 2007.
From the chart analysis (see Chart 2), the United States and the Japan percentages in the IP address space is decreasing in slow pace. China IP address range is increasing at a fast pace and it could potentially overtake the number 3 spot in 2008. Other countries such as Germany and France are growing at slower rate compare to China relatively.