Internet IP Address 2009 Report
IP address allocation is the process of distributing IP addresses to organizations worldwide. The major effect of the allocation process is that the Internet IP addresses have been distributed unevenly across the entire world due to different political boundaries of the owners. This Year 2009 study report analyzes the distribution and the trends of IP address allocation in 238 countries using historical data. It also compares the trends with the same IP address report for 2007.
In this first section of the study, we breakdown the average percentages of IP address allocations in 238 countries using the IP2Location historical data in 2008. The average percentage is the arithmetic mean of 12-month values collected on the first day of the month from the IP2Location monthly database.
From the data analysis (see Table 1 & Chart 1), the United States tops the allocation list by holding 37.17% of the total IP addresses worldwide. It is followed by the United Kingdom (11.37%), China (7.08%), Japan (6.95%), Germany (4.01%), France (3.75%), Korea (2.91%), Canada (2.66%), the Netherlands (1.91%) and Italy (1.77%). These Top 10 countries in the list occupied close to 80% of the total allocated IP addresses in the world in 2008. The other 228 countries are sharing the remaining 20% of the allocated IP address spaces.
If we compare the data from the year 2007, China has replaced Japan for the 3rd position. The Republic of Korea replaced Canada for the 7th position. Japan and Canada are in 4th and 8th positions respectively in the year 2008.
In this second section of the study, we plot the month-to-month percentage of IP address allocations by country using the IP2Location historical data in 2008.
From the chart analysis (see Chart 2), the total percentages of the IP address space allocated to networks in the United Kingdom is decreasing at a slow pace. The IP address space allocated to networks in China and Japan are increasing at a fast pace. However, we do not foresee that either country will be overtaking the United Kingdom for the second position in the year 2009. The network in the United States is maintaining the growth of the IP address allocation, leading the other 237 countries in the year 2008.
IP2Location Internet IP Address Year 2008 Report